Friday 19 February 2016




 
Three Ways to Wear Denim
 
 
For most people denim forms a core part of our wardrobes. When a sartorial crisis strikes, it serves as the perfect solution- namely, "Jeans and a nice top"! Whilst I love the laid back simplicity of the classic pair of well fitting jeans and a white t-shirt, denim has the capacity to greatly exceed this primitive form. It can be dressed up in a way that might not be expected whilst retaining the comfort factor we all know and love it for.
 
 
 
Starting off with the basics, here is a classic way to wear denim. Although the struggle can be REAL in finding the perfect pair of jeans to suit your body, it's a glorious moment when you find a good match. For me, I really like Gap or Fat Face as the quality and fit of the denim is superb. Above, I'm wearing a pair of Gap light-washed distressed jeans from a good few years back with a hybrid Topshop jumper.  I purchased the jumper before Christmas and have gotten so much wear out of it since (see link above). It's super soft and looks well with both jeans and skirts.
 
 
In keeping with the laid back vibe of this outfit, I teamed it with my Stan (THE MAN!) Smiths. These shoes have been one of the best purchases I have ever made, hence the shouty capitals ;) Running around college, or at the weekend these shoes are perfect in terms of just how comfy they are. I bought them in Office before Christmas and have been hard pressed to part from them since.  
 

 
Another classic way to wear denim is in the form of dungarees. When it comes to this trend I must admit I am somewhat of a hypocrite. Having berated my mother for years and years about how overalls should be worn by mechanics and left in the garage, I have come over to the dark side of late and grown to adore them. It's a cliché but it was never so true, mothers are always right! The pair I'm wearing above (in my awkward "quick get the photo so we can go for cake!" poses) are a cheap and cheerful Penneys number. I teamed it with a Timberland wool scarf and a grey denim jacket with jersey sleeves, that may or may not be from the men's section of New Look, which I may or may not have purchased the same one as a male friend..........................

 
 
Just as easily as dungarees can look laid back and casual, they can equally be styled to look a bit more sophisticated. By simply changing my shoes and accessories, I went from 9-5 mechanic to oh you think you fancy?! in 3.5 ;)
 
 
The sunnies I'm wearing are just €4 from Penneys and such a good dupe for those glorious Dior ones! I also think pairing a white or cream blouse underneath would give a very Alexa Chung effect and let's be honest, who wouldn't want that? ;)
 
 
My vaguely Ron Burgundy-esque boots with red marbled heel are from Topshop (bought with a voucher which made them even more sweet!) I like that they come up a little higher than traditional ankle boots and the unusual design of the heel caught my magpie attention. Be warned though, these babies are not an all day shoe, best for a few hours tops or risk becoming cranky because your feet hurt!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Finally, pinafores have become a wardrobe staple for me in recent times. They're just so easy to throw on and look super cute; toddler chic one might say ;)
 
 
The one I have on here is an old Littlewoods one, but New Look have a very similar one here. With just a simple jumper underneath, it's cosy but looks a bit dressed up too. (Also, shout out to my Zara Kids coats which I've had since I was twelve and seems to be growing with me!)
 
 
 
My Timberland boots give a well needed height boost, but most importantly they are extremely comfortable to wear all day, either in college or for a full shift at work.
 

Accessories wise I kept it quite minimalistic with this look, simply wearing a dainty necklace, my silver watch and a Newbridge Silverware beaded bracelet- a recent 21st birthday present which I adore :)
 
That's all for now, I hope you have enjoyed this post and thank you so much for reading. A massive thank you to my little stars Emily and Dearbhail for taking the pictures!
 
Love always,
 
 Amy. x
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment